8.01.2009

Sound

Great news everyone! The main character in my new novel is called Sound.

No longer Thomas, which while a perfectly reasonable name didn't seem to do anything special for the character.

Sound on the other hand is unique, represents that the character is a sounding board for me currently (arty, no?) and perhaps best of all the word has all sorts of meanings that I will get to play with throughout the story. Sound in the aural sense, sounding board, a sound idea and of course a sound. It's like a bay but it's a sound, and being from where I'm from that's another little nod to me.

Of course I want to finish this one (third novel started in a significant manner for those counting), and I want it to be good, but I'm also happy to acknowledge that it is in large part about me and sorting things out along with the character. It's not autobiography but close enough that I feel a direct nod to me with such a name is good.

Eleanor is going to stay Eleanor. I don't know why other than it was the first name I thought of after the airplane incident and it seems to fit the lady who I ascribed it to. If I come up with something better I'll change it, but for the time being she's the beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment